Dan In The Land Down Under !

This blog has been created to keep my family and friends informed of my exploites in Australia as I live, work and study for a year in Southport. And yes, drink the occassional beer. "gone troppo" - moved to tropical Australia, or crazy because of drink or heat. hahaha perfect.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

so it's a big one... pictures to follow.

July 6th, 2006


The plane from Toronto left late and therefore I was late to catch my connecting flight in Vancouver (no help from the LONG ASS line at US customs)

Had a stop over in Honolulu that I did not know about. Broke up the trip so it was good and got to stretch the legs.

I wasn’t the only one, I met a girl named Jenn who was on her way to Sydney to meet up with her friend who came here for school (Melbourne) and tour around for 3 weeks, so we bonded in line at customs and then bolted for the gate which was at the other end of the airport. We also met a woman (Lauren an Aussie) in line who would also be seated in the seat next to me for duration of the flight. She JUST made the flight and is returning to Sydney to get married next month.

Arrival in Sydney, ½ hour early. 6am

They spray the plane when you land for foreign insects, kind of weird your sitting there as they do it.

Then it was through customs which was very easy and onto the baggage claim and off to another check for any vegetation, food, seeds or any other biological items that Australia does not want here, I did not realize their eco-system was so fragile. I picked up my car for just after 7am said goodbye to Lauren and then took Jenn to her hostel downtown which is in walking distance to… da da da da…. The Sydney Opera House and the Harbour bridge. So I dropped her off and headed over to take my pictures. I then hopped back into the car and had no idea of where I was going except that the road leading me there was Pacific Highway #1 after getting through Sydney and on my way I only got turned around (lost) once in New Castle (not a great town, kind of like a crap Florida neighborhood) so I wanted out of there BADLY and I got out and back on my way. I made it 450km’s to Port Macquarie and am at the Hotel Macquarie. It’s right on the water although I am facing the street. It’s kinda cool (not the lap of luxury) clean and right in the middle of town.

After a shower (which I had not had since the 4th, eeewwwwwwwww) I headed outside and looked for a place to eat… hahaha The Hog’s Breath caught my eye, it’s a roadhouse saloon, steak and ribs were on the menu, pretty good, but WOW can you ever taste the difference in the meat, had to explain but a definite difference in taste. (So far I do prefer Alberta beef) Then it was off the “Bottle Shop” (a liquor store) the only thing besides the pubs and 2 restaurants and 2 screen theatre. They also sell redbull and bottled water; which I also purchased. (Yes two beers, Blue Tongue and Toohey’s, gotta try the local brands why not start right away) So it is writing this 2 beers and bed for me. It’s 8pm and I’d say I’ll be asleep by 9, which only means a good early start on the day. I should be in my place by tomorrow evening but we shall see how far I get as the speed limit is a max of 100 but also drops to 80, 70 and 60 depending on the section of highway you are on, it is also STRICKLY enforced so its bang on for Danny; no tickets needed here, and on that I say goodnight, open my second beer and its off to dream land.



July 7th

And the grand total is 974km’s from Sydney to Ashmore and well my front door. I arrived here at 4pm after a great drive up the coast. I left Port Macquarie at 8:15am after a quick stop at the McDonald’s; every good road trip starts with a McMuffin and Hash brown as you well know… EXCEPT an Australian road trip, the sausage just doesn’t taste right (again getting accustom to the different taste in the meat). So on the road I go and of course a quick stop at the first gas station to fill up and a red bull WHICH COMES IN 330ml BOTTLES HERE!!!!! The coast is beautiful, may I suggest Byron Bay, this must have been what Eden was like, crystal blue waters and lush green. I will be visiting for a long weekend or vacation. Ok arrival in Ashmore and the meeting of the first roommate, Hiro a Japanese student studying at TAFE to be a chef, I introduced myself and he let me in and then helped to lug in my bags and then made tea. We chatted and I relaxed then it was unpacking time and semi settling in, I did a small shop at the grocery store for some small items and breakfast foods for a day or two. Sharon then arrived and I met her and her little boy who was very tired and was tucked in to bed shortly after getting home and to tell you the truth I wasn’t far off.

July 8th

My first day in my new home, unpacking and getting settled and Hiro was kind enough to take me out to get a printer (so I can print out all kinds of pictures for post cards for all of you who might be reading this and some who aren’t). Lunch time and then what to do for the rest of the day?!? I’ll tell ya what to do, ya go to the beach and take a 2 km walk up and down it, feet in the surf and collect a shell or two. Hahaha quick Seinfeld reference “The sand, it’s everywhere” (just for you Shawn). All in all a great first day, tomorrow I’m planning on looking for a bicycle as everything is close but a bike would make it all that much closer and my school (which we drove by today) is a tiny bit to far to walk. Tonight was pizza and beers with the roommates and just sitting around talking and having a few drinks (a great way to get to know each other).

July 9th and 10th

The last two days have been spent checking out a few places, like the Aussie fair mall and getting things like an alarm clock and paper for my printer. Also seeing Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest which was freak’n AWESOME!!! I also went and got myself a bike so that I can ride to school (and get my ass in shape for the beach). It’s a giant hybrid mountain/road bike and I got a cool helmet to match (it’s a $75 fine if your don’t wear one) I’ll get a picture take soon so you can all laugh  The next few days I’m going to be exploring on the new bike and will take a bunch of pictures of things I see like my school (which I need to go to and get info about when I start and where I should be heading on the 18th). I’m dropping off the rental car tomorrow morning, my bike is still in the back as I’m going to ride home. Both roomies have cars and have offered to come with me to give me a lift back but I want to explore Surfer’s Paradise and maybe a bit of Main Beach on my bike and see what’s all there and take a few more pictures.

1 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger shannon said...

'unaware of how fragile australia's ecosystem is'? are you saying that the ONLY episode of the simpson's that you missed was the one where they went to australia? i don't believe it! remember the frogs babe, remember the frogs. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home